When Bison meets Bacon what can go wrong?
In the deep midwinter, there’s one word that can warm us to the core … bacon. Add the unrivalled beefiness of bison and you’ve got the ingredients to make New Year magic happen in the kitchen.
Bison and Bacon Arrabbiata with Fresh Linguine
Spicy, hearty and wholesome
500 g Lean Ground Bison*
200 g Bacon Strips
454 g Fresh Linguine
2 Red Chili
740 ml Crushed Tomatoes with Garlic and Onion
113 g Onion, chopped
400 g Mixed Mushrooms
14 g Basil
½ cup Parmesan Cheese, shredded
12 g Garlic
2 sachets Beef Broth Concentrate
4 tbsp Unsalted Butter
Salt and Pepper to taste
**Cook bison and bacon to minimum internal temperatures of 71°C/160°F.
1. Prep. Add 10 cups water and 2 tsp salt to a large pot. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. While the water comes to a boil, slice mushrooms. Peel, then mince or grate garlic. Thinly slice basil. Finely chop chili, removing seeds for less heat. (NOTE: We suggest using gloves when prepping chili pepper.)
2. Cook bacon. Cut bacon into 1/4-inch strips. Heat a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add bacon. Cook, flipping occasionally, until crispy, 5-7 min.** Remove pan from the heat. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a small bowl. Set aside. Reserve 2 tbsp fat in pan, discard remaining.
3. Cook Bison. Heat the pan with reserved bacon fat over medium-high. When hot, add bison. Cook, breaking up bison into smaller pieces, until no pink remains, 4-5 min.** Season with salt and pepper.
4. Cook sauce. Add mushrooms, onions, garlic and half the chili to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms have softened, 5-6 min. Add tomato sauce base, broth concentrate and crushed tomatoes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens slightly, 3-4 min. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Cook linguine. While sauce cooks, add linguine to the boiling water. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until tender, 2-3 min. Reserve 1 cup pasta water, then drain and return to pot, off heat. Add 4 tbsp butter, then toss to coat. Set aside.
6. Finish and serve. Add bison mixture, pasta water, bacon and half the Parmesan to the large pot with linguine. Season with salt and pepper, then toss to combine. Divide the bison and bacon arrabbiata between plates. Sprinkle the basil and remaining Parmesan over top. Sprinkle remaining chili over top, if desired.
AN ASPAC TREAT
Want to travel with your taste buds and experience a world of flavour without setting foot in a store? Use code HELLOASPAC to enjoy 7 free meals when you subscribe to HelloFresh today.†
†new customers only